fallingwaters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cpl of rules questions

+3
Skippy Pathfinder
Stbrian
Firewall
7 posters

Go down

Cpl of rules questions  Empty Cpl of rules questions

Post  Firewall Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:11 am

I have a couple of rules questions and was wondering if we can update the rules sections on these gifts.
Two months ago in the battle of phischmen it was ruled at the time true fear (page 132 the laws of the wyld) only works for the person using the gift IE:the target of true fear is only fearful of the person using the gift. The way its written in the book it doesn't say that at all. "TRUE FEAR- You scare your chosen target into fearful quiescence. Make a contest of your physical traits (retest with intimidation) against the targets will-power. If you are successful, the target cannot attack for one turn, plus one turn for each mental trait you spend. The target can defend against attacks and otherwise act normally(or as normally or possible when gripped with terror.) if we are changing it can we at least have it added to the rules section.
Second question Totems and open moon bridge charm
Rumor has it we are changing it so the the spirit can only open it from a caren if this is the case again we need to amend it to the house rules section.However I see no need to change it or tweek it its pretty black and white of what is says it can do.
Open moon bridge charm (page 240 laws of the wyld) The spirit can create a moon bridge up to 1000 miles long, and there need not be a caern at the destination.
Anyways would like some clarification on these powers Smile
Firewall
Firewall

Character sheet
Breed: Homid
Auspice: Ahroun
Tribe: Glass Walkers

Back to top Go down

Cpl of rules questions  Empty Re: Cpl of rules questions

Post  Stbrian Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Okay. Let me try to break this down.

Two months ago in the battle of phischmen it was ruled at the time true fear (page 132 the laws of the wyld) only works for the person using the gift IE:the target of true fear is only fearful of the person using the gift. The way its written in the book it doesn't say that at all. "TRUE FEAR- You scare your chosen target into fearful quiescence. Make a contest of your physical traits (retest with intimidation) against the targets will-power. If you are successful, the target cannot attack for one turn, plus one turn for each mental trait you spend. The target can defend against attacks and otherwise act normally(or as normally or possible when gripped with terror.) if we are changing it can we at least have it added to the rules section.

That doesn't feel like a change to us. The person is afraid of the garou using true fear. I'll discuss with Bucky to make sure we're all on the same page.

Rumor has it we are changing it so the the spirit can only open it from a caren if this is the case again we need to amend it to the house rules section.However I see no need to change it or tweek it its pretty black and white of what is says it can do.
Open moon bridge charm (page 240 laws of the wyld) The spirit can create a moon bridge up to 1000 miles long, and there need not be a caern at the destination.

This is not a change, this is how we've always run it. I'll counterpoint with some book quotes when I get some time... but it has always been our practice that one point of a moon bridge needs to be at a Caern. Whether spirits are physically capable of doing so isn't the problem... getting them to create point-to-Point moonbridging is a skill of the Ragabash in particular.

Stbrian
Admin

Character sheet
Auspice: Ragabash
Tribe: Fianna

Back to top Go down

Post  Skippy Pathfinder Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:53 am

(And Elder Silent Striders/Adren Galliards, for one-man bridges)
Skippy Pathfinder
Skippy Pathfinder

Character sheet
Breed: Lupus
Auspice: Galliard
Tribe: Glass Walkers

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:12 pm

I have to agree that True Fear is a rules change. The text of the power is clear; when under the effects of True Fear, the target may not attack. It doesn't say he "may not attack the Garou using True Fear." It simply says "may not attack." I have never seen another game where this is interpreted to permit attacks against targets other than the TF user.

Now, I happen to think this is a good change, but it's definitely a change in my eyes, and I think it would be useful to include it in the house rules. I strongly suspect that new and visiting players will assume that it prevents attacks entirely, unless it's made clear that the power works otherwise.
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet
Auspice: Theurge
Tribe: Bone Gnawers

Back to top Go down

Post  Stbrian Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:39 pm

THE CONCLAVE WILL DISCUSS THIS FURTHER.. STAY TUNED FOR SMOKEY BOOLEAN EXPRESSIONS

Stbrian
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexander Drake Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:45 pm

Rule question:

Just started so was looking through LotW.

Staredown.  If used on a human or an animal, they flee.  If used on a werewolf, they are unable to act (I believe is the wording).  What about if used on Vampires and other supernatural creatures.

Alexander Drake

Character sheet
Auspice: Philiodox
Tribe: Silver Fangs

Back to top Go down

Post  STBucky Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:21 am

Alexander Drake wrote:Rule question:

Just started so was looking through LotW.

Staredown.  If used on a human or an animal, they flee.  If used on a werewolf, they are unable to act (I believe is the wording).  What about if used on Vampires and other supernatural creatures.

Generally the breakdown is: 1st tier supernaturals react as x, 2nd tier/mortals react as y.

I would be of the opinion that they would react the same as a werewolf or other tier 1 supes. Since it's silent on kinfolk, ghouls, etc... it could probably act like dread gaze - those second string guys are generally mortals for the purposes of power/mists/fog/etc, with notable exceptions.

STBucky
Admin

Character sheet
Tribe: Wendigo

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexander Drake Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Next question.

Call to Duty.  You can spend 2 gnosis to summon all spirits in a mile radius to come and serve you.  Do you need Spirit Speech in order to direct them or is that counted among the gift.  If you do, how much XP does that cost to buy as I dont know if that is an ability, gift, so on.  (Sorry, netbook still incapped)

Alexander Drake

Character sheet
Tribe: Silver Fangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Stbrian Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Spirit Speech - Is a Gift, Theurge and Uktena specifically (off the top of my head).  3xp, and you'll have to do an out of auspice quest to get it.

Call to Duty - The way I've handled this in the past is that general commands, " Protect me " or, "kick that guy's ass " can be done as part of the mojo that comes with the gift, " keep an eye out for redheads over six foot six who pass through here, then activate the Device and contact Lord Steppenwyrd that 'The Goose is Loose' " probably would require Spirit Speech to make sure you're understood.

As an aside...

Most spirits who are powerful enough to speak DO speak at least a pidgin version of English and/or Garou.  However, (a) Its much more polite to speak in their own tongue, so they'll immediately be better disposed towards you and (b) layers of meaning are always lost without Spirit Speech.  Also, many spirits are assholes who will pretend not to understand what you're talking about, since it would be beneath their dignity to speak YOUR language.

Stbrian
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:53 pm

The Umbra is kinda like Montreal in that respect...but the food's not as good.
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet
Auspice: Theurge
Tribe: Bone Gnawers

Back to top Go down

Cpl of rules questions  Empty *evil grin*

Post  Samuel Timmons Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 am

And since Spirit speach is outside your breed, tribe, auspice list it will cost you 4EXP and a small pile of chiminage to a spirit to convince you to teach it to you.

Samuel Timmons

Character sheet
Breed: Metis
Tribe: Shadow Lords

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexander Drake Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:40 am

Nah, don't worry, I've got this.

Alexander Drake

Character sheet