fallingwaters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rite of Binding and Talen Creation

4 posters

Go down

Rite of Binding and Talen Creation Empty Rite of Binding and Talen Creation

Post  Skippy Pathfinder Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:47 pm

This one has been seeing a lot of use lately, and I have trouble remembering how this works on the fly, so I thought I'd drop it into a post. Hopefully this helps other people as well. Rite of Binding is page 156 and Talen are covered on page 256 in LotW.

You can use Rite of Binding to infuse a spirit into a specific person, place, thing or service.
Spend one Gnosis and make a static mental challenge vs 7 traits to perform the Rite of Binding against a nearby spirit.
If the spirit is unwilling or is not friendly with your Totem you must defeat it in a Willpower vs Gnosis challenge.
You may spend a number of Gnosis traits to reduce the difficulty of the challenge by that number.
If the spirit is both willing and friendly with your totem, you do not need to make a Willpower vs Gnosis challenge.
The infusion lasts for one week, plus one additional week for each mental trait you expend.

You can instead use Rite of Binding to create a Talen.
Only spirits friendly to your Totem voluntarily submit to binding (self-enforcing Genre, here) and they may have other terms as well.
A Talen lasts until used (potentially forever) rather than a number of weeks, at no cost.
You do not have to spend any traits to create a Talen, but you do need to win the Rite of Binding challenge (Static Mental vs 7 traits).
If a spirit's Gnosis is a multiple of the Gnosis requirement of the Talen, then that spirit can choose to occupy multiple Talen at no cost.
(e.g. if you are making a Gnosis 1 Talen using a Gnosis 10 spirit, that spirit can be used to make ten Talen at once, no cost to you)
You may also increase the number of Talen created by expending your own Gnosis, each 1 Gnosis spent creates another Talen.
If you are in a place where you can regain Gnosis, then you can spend Mental Traits as though they were Gnosis for this purpose.
(So if you also spent 3 Gnosis and 7 Mental traits while in the Caern, you'd get an additional ten Talen. In keeping with the above example, you'd have twenty Gnosis 1 Talen. If you made your Gnosis 10 spirit into two Gnosis 5 Talen, you'd instead have a total of twelve Talen.)

As you can see, the Rite is very powerful and can create a large number of awesome items for a pack to use as needed.
It can also detain enemy spirits or keep distractible/narrowminded spirits doing what you expect them to do.
Skippy Pathfinder
Skippy Pathfinder

Character sheet
Breed: Lupus
Auspice: Galliard
Tribe: Glass Walkers

Back to top Go down

Rite of Binding and Talen Creation Empty Re: Rite of Binding and Talen Creation

Post  Father Thomas Rogers Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Just rereading the statement of how to create a talen:

Success on the Rite of Binding creates a talen with Gnosis equal to that of the spirit bound inside. Each Gnosis Trait the creator spends lets her make another talen of the same sort: Two Mental Traits on top of the requirements for the rite let her make three Bane Arrows, for instance.
My question is based on the underlined gnosis - the example past this seems to say use mental traits not gnosis traits to make multiples of the same talen. Which is the correct word?
I know for the ways we do downtime this probably will never come into play, but it seems like just a little clarification may help for some scenes or such down the way. My thoughts are this should be Mental traits as you are not spending Gnosis to use the rite in the first place - you may have used it to coax the spirit but spending it to make multiple of the same thing just means I'd go and do the ritual a 2nd time instead of utilizing what I already have.

Father Thomas Rogers

Character sheet
Breed: Homid
Auspice: Theurge

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Well, according to the rules above, if you're in a caern, you can use mental traits or Gnosis. I've tried not to abuse the rules, personally--yeah, I could poop out 15 Breath of Gaia or more each month, strictly by the rules, but that seems overkill and cheesy. I usually just go with the 3 the STs are willing to allow no questions asked.
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet
Tribe: Bone Gnawers

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Thomas Rogers Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:38 pm

I know the ST's will rule fairly about what we make and tell us NO when we are being dumb. I was just making sure this is clarified just for things like this event coming up (if we have to make some on the fly) whats valid and acceptable.

Only picking this nit as it was one of the things that I can create and thus I was reading it.

Father Thomas Rogers

Character sheet
Breed: Homid

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamMarx Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:55 am

Walker needed a TON of different talens short notice to wage a war. This is how he made enough for what he needed.

(Lose 14 Rage Fischman, then, lose 13 more.)

You'd better have good reasons for doing it, or it's renown hits all around.

-Hoffman

AdamMarx

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:07 pm

Yeah. This may be the one month where I make as many as I can. Haven't done it yet.
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet
Tribe: Bone Gnawers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down