fallingwaters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ranking - Caps or Curve?

+7
Young Frank
Skippy Pathfinder
Bob MacCoy
Ashmoore
Wishbone
Billy Singer
Stbrian
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Which do you prefer? (described below)

Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 5 ]
Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Vote_lcap32%Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 6 ]
Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]
Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 19

Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ranking - Caps or Curve?

Post  Ashmoore Fri May 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Once you start a owbn larp, it practically cannot die.
Ashmoore
Ashmoore

Character sheet
Breed: Homid
Auspice: Ragabash
Tribe: Silent Striders

Back to top Go down

Post  Skippy Pathfinder Fri May 11, 2012 11:48 pm

*sigh* At that point starting as a Cub becomes dumb in every category there is. Even if you don't know the first thing about being Garou and embarrass yourself constantly as a Cliath and lose some renown, you'll still rank to 5 faster.
Skippy Pathfinder
Skippy Pathfinder

Character sheet
Breed: Lupus
Auspice: Galliard
Tribe: Glass Walkers

Back to top Go down

Post  Skippy Pathfinder Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Also, our characters (frequently) experience Realm time dilation. A certain character has seen 10 years of aging. Why wouldn't that alter his "rank clock"?
Skippy Pathfinder
Skippy Pathfinder

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Stbrian Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Yes, playing a Cub is purely an RP manuever.

Stbrian
Admin

Character sheet
Tribe: Fianna

Back to top Go down

Post  William Erikson Sat May 12, 2012 1:51 am

what if it just got easier to rank up the longer you have been the rank, so in 6 months a 1 can get to 2 with normal levels of renown but if they have earned something stuipdly huge, then the clack can be turned back so double renown for half the time? im just spitballing as you all know im not the best with larp rules im still rather new
William Erikson
William Erikson

Character sheet
Tribe: Get of Fenris

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashmoore Sat May 12, 2012 2:52 am

Hands down I think rank clock is best because it requires very little work for krisp and the staff. If we need a rule, which we probably do, the easier for the staff, the more that I like it.

Almost every time a game makes a complicated rule, even a bit, it is broken easily and regularly done so just because it is easier to ignore it. All a rank clock requires is putting a note in the notes section on when they ranked.

/shrug
Ashmoore
Ashmoore

Character sheet
Tribe: Silent Striders

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 12, 2012 10:57 am

Voted 'other'. Not actually a fan of a hard rank clock, and Xeno's clock sounds too harsh. Would sooner see a set up where rank 2 = -1 to all renown awards, rank 3 = -2, rank 4= -3, etc. (minimum of 0, 1 if your charitable) over dividing the awards by rank.

Back to top Go down

Post  Brings the Light of Luna Sat May 12, 2012 4:25 pm

That's not a bad system either. Regardless, I agree with Dan. There needs to be something setup where it is both simple and ensures we don't have PCs careening to Rank 5. This is a game of roleplay first and foremost, there should be great ceremony when PCs get that far. It's not just, "sweet, I have advanced gifts, now." It should be hard to hit the higher ranks.

((Oh, I voted for the Clock.))
Brings the Light of Luna
Brings the Light of Luna

Character sheet
Breed: Metis
Auspice: Theurge
Tribe: Silver Fangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Stbrian Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 am

Update on Renown:

(to be added to house rules when we have the details hashed out, but here's the summary)

(a) The Sekrit curve we use to determine how much renown folks earn a month is going to be adjusted to give more to Rank 1&2's. We've noticed a bit of stagnation at the lower ranks and we want to help folks advance. Remember to use the form on the web page kids, we STs don't see everything!

(b) If a Galliard tells a story/poem/song/battlerap of how great you are (generally during a Moot) you'll receive effectively double renown for the deeds in question. THIS IS A BIG DEAL.

(c) If a Ragabash talks shit/mocks/throws down the dozens about how terrible you are (generally during a Moot) you'll receive double neg renown for the deeds in question. ALSO A BIG DEAL.

Stbrian
Admin

Character sheet
Tribe: Fianna

Back to top Go down

Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Empty *rubbs fingers together*

Post  Guest Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:49 am

[/Montgomery Burn Voice On] Excellent Smithers Excellent !!!! [Montgomery Burn Voice Off]
Actually this is exactly the type of rule that makes the game seem more real. The Roles of the Galliard and Ragabash are emphisized. I have had very few people actually come up and actually tell me about their adventures. But unless I was on ther adventure or another Galliard was with them then there was No One to tell the story.

I do believe the a Galliard useing you as a bad example might have the same effect as the Ragabash but that can be discussed as an add on rule later Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patch Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:50 am

I like all the approaches for different reasons. I like WFF's suggestions on mechanics, but here's the one original idea I had based on what I read here.

What about a sliding clock renown scale?

In short: Each rank has a "set" month clock at which you are at a "neutral" renown situation in order to challenge for it. If you try earlier than that, you'd better have some serious renown or done something really impressive to offset it. If you wait and challenge later, it becomes progressively more of a "given" that you'll pass.

the difficulty slide could be scaled by increasing and decreasing required temporary renown for permanents, or reducing their renown awards by a sliding rate as they move along the timeline.

that's my two cents. I can adapt to any system but am torn. I want to be able to rank quickly as it is the primary limitation on how fast I can develop influence and become more useful. At the same time, I cannot describe the depths to which I HATE the swarms of mega-broken-ancient-killers that fill many OWBN scenes. RbN took a smart maneuver and made their game much more authentic in feel by limiting what advanced disciplines can be used in game. I want to grow as quickly as I can, but I want a strong ST presence to limit the rate of that growth so that it feels world-appropriate. I would like to see some way of limiting the number of Elders, and ensuring a reasonable rate of turnover: through advancement beyond the caern, or glorious death, etc.

Patch

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Ranking - Caps or Curve? - Page 2 Empty *chuckles*

Post  Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:08 am

Well we nearly lost an Athro and 2 Adren tonight two are still in jeporady is that Or Death enough ???

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:47 am

Following up on that: the game is now over a year old. Thus far, we have had a total of five rank 3 PCs. Of those, we have lost two so far (one to retirement and one to punishment.) As of next month, in all probability, it'll be down to two. Realistically, given the way we play, I don't think we're in danger of a swarm of elders any time soon.
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet
Auspice: Theurge
Tribe: Bone Gnawers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum