fallingwaters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question about totem

5 posters

Go down

question about totem Empty question about totem

Post  greyson Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm sure my character might know but what are we doing with this pack thing? Is it a fight or an item that has sentimental value? What is a typical thing?

Merle
greyson
greyson

Character sheet
Breed: Homid
Auspice: Ahroun
Tribe: Get of Fenris

Back to top Go down

question about totem Empty Re: question about totem

Post  Maxim Dmitriev Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:29 pm

Well as far as the actual "quest" goes, that will be up to the ST team to run you and Hoff through that.

The item I am asking for you guys to get deals with a type of chiminage to the spirit who will be assisting on your quest to find a totem spirit. The thing you might want could be a compass or a weapon or etc. Think what your character would want with them on a quest. Most of the ideas that come from this kind of push what type of totems would be drawn to your character (along with what ever spirits might be there to help/hinder you along the way).

Most of this is a roleplaying theme to get people into the world of werewolf and used to the spirit realm as a normal way of life.

Maxim Dmitriev

Character sheet
Auspice: Theurge
Tribe: Silver Fangs

Back to top Go down

Post  greyson Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Ok I wasn't sure never really played before and don't know the source materials real well. Thanks.
greyson
greyson

Character sheet
Tribe: Get of Fenris

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxim Dmitriev Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:57 pm

No worries, most of everything I'm gonna do for the next year with interactions is try to bring the world of Werewolf forward especially to those new to the genre. So some stuff I do might just be 100 percent flavour.

Maxim Dmitriev

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Shields the Heart Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Hell, while we're asking questions...

...During session, I asked what exactly makes you a pack. The answer I got didn't really fully answer my question, though seeing a bit more I think I got it. Just to make sure, though: Groups of Garou can get together and do whatever, but you aren't really a pack until one of the totem spirits decides to sponsor you as such?

Shields the Heart

Character sheet
Tribe: Children of Gaia

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxim Dmitriev Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:32 pm

you have just learned your first lesson young cub.

Maxim Dmitriev

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 pm

Also keep in mind that every pack has a purpose. That purpose could be something very broad and far-reaching, like "Defend the Caern" or "Battle the Wyrm," but a group of Garou without a shared specific purpose isn't a pack; it's just a group.
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet
Breed: Lupus
Tribe: Bone Gnawers

Back to top Go down

Post  Shields the Heart Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Okay, so, the totem decides you're cool and such.

Your pack goes and does...stuff. I assume that over time you buy the totem background.

Your pack then explodes/starts eating one another/dies in a fire/stops showing up.

Alternately, you get lured away into a more badass group.

Double-Alternately, you decide you can do it better and start your own with a handful of doe-eyed cubs.

What happens? Do those points of totem go into your "new" totem, do they just represent "Totemic Affinity" (When some new totem spirit decides to sponsor you, it seriously does it TO THE LIMIT) or are they lost?

What's the IC of it? Does the previous spirit just let you go, or did you probably just earn "Spirit Emnity"?

Or is it wholly dependent on the former/new totem?

edited to add: Or, if you wanted to be all positive about a WoD game, your pack completes the stated purpose: "We successfully went to Wilson Farms, where we bought Donut Sticks and a Slim Jim. The Theurge is now living diamond."

Shields the Heart

Character sheet
Tribe: Children of Gaia

Back to top Go down

Post  Stbrian Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 pm

I just wanted to pipe in on the mechanics. Your totem points are your own, they do not go away when you change packs.

Stbrian
Admin

Character sheet
Auspice: Ragabash
Tribe: Fianna

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxim Dmitriev Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:55 pm

The mechanics of totem points as elaborated by Brian stay on your sheet, thus you would be able to put them to a new totem. Assuming in game that you can find a new totem Wink

Now as far as RP is concerned, you can gain enmity to spirits and the like by doing some stupid shit to them or they can be neutral or they can also be still your best bud.

Lots of things depend on interactions and how you portray your character to the spirits. Some spirits like certain personas over others. Certain actions can have either some or no effect at all or can be catastrophic or extremely beneficial. So honestly its gonna be a thing of learning in game what is good/bad and ugly.

I've talked with several other of the "older" players of werewolf and many of us are gonna just stick to RP and show by example. I could quote you the rules and such, but some of it is just being carefree and learning as you go and having a mentor or elder lead the way to show you what you need to accomplish or what to do. Totem quests should be another book for each person, an addendum to each persons story and it will be unique and different for everyone.

Sorry for rambling...a bit tired and full on food makes me think weird

Maxim Dmitriev

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down