fallingwaters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nature of Nature

2 posters

Go down

The Nature of Nature Empty The Nature of Nature

Post  John Duval Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:57 am

The cub poses a question.

"I know the short answer to this question, but there seems to be more to it... Who is Gaia? How does she fit in with the other spirits?" He pauses in thought for a moment. "And...what...what is the relation; what are we to her, what is she to us?"
John Duval
John Duval

Character sheet
Breed: Homid
Auspice: Philiodox
Tribe: Shadow Lords

Back to top Go down

The Nature of Nature Empty Re: The Nature of Nature

Post  Wishbone Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:17 am

(OOC: I'm going to assume that the question was asked while in the park at some point.)

Wishbone looks up from his meal--looks like someone had ribs, and wasn't too careful about making sure the bones got into the trash.

"Now that's a good question, kid. Also a big one. Lemme see...where to begin?" He sits up. With his paw, he marks a single rune in the dirt...a horizontal arc, beginning at the left and ending at the right, like a comma turned on its side and facing downwards.

"Gaia is...this. Everything you see around you, and more. Gaia is the spirit of the world as it should be, without humans and banes and everything else screwing it up."

"Now, I've heard Theurges a lot older'n wiser than me argue about when exactly Gaia came into being. Some hold that she came first...that it was Gaia who created the Wyld, the Weaver, and the Wyrm. Others say that she was the first spirit born when the Wyld, the Weaver, and the Wyrm were working in harmony. In either case, you've gotta remember that she represents balance. Destruction can be part of Gaia, long as it's destruction in balance. When a wolf pack brings down a deer, that's of Gaia; they're taking a life so that the pack can live. Part of the natural order of things. On the other hand, when a whole herd of deer die to make room for a housing development, that's not the natural way of things. The Weaver has gotten out of balance. And when things are destroyed just for the sake of destruction, that's the Wyrm's insanity at work."

Wishbone licks his chops absently, cleaning off a patch of barbecue sauce as he ponders how to continue.

"So the simplest answer is that Gaia's the spirit of life, but that's maybe too simple. Lotta young Garou, they have this hippy-dippy flower-child image of Gaia as being always gentle and loving and kind and good, and that ain't exactly so. She IS good...but she ain't always gentle. The storm is of Gaia. The HURRICANE is of Gaia. Hell, WE are of Gaia, and take a look at us. We aren't exactly soft and gentle, now are we?"

He rubs out the rune with his paw. Best not to take chances.

"So the best way to think of Gaia is...she's Mother. Mother to you; mother to me; mother to everything. We're her cubs. And when you threaten a mother's cubs, well..." Golden eyes flicker up to John's. "You'd best be ready to suffer her claws. That's where we come in. Gaia's cubs are threatened...and we're her claws."
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet
Breed: Lupus
Auspice: Theurge
Tribe: Bone Gnawers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:28 pm

((OOC: I guess we can assume that this conversation happens as the three of us leave the park and head for Zor Valley.))

[WoV silently listens until Wishbone is done before grunting approvingly]

Back to top Go down

Post  John Duval Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:57 pm

((OOC: We have an order-of-events issue, here. At session, in a scene run with the STs, my character went back to his house at around midnight because he knew his mom was expecting him. She was missing, called Lillian Mercy (Mary's character), and he went home with her after she inspected the house and determined he REALLY shouldn't stay there that night. I posted in the other thread of "after the night's events" because that felt like before-midnight and my character lives close to Elicott Creek Park. This following question is mostly to Hoffman: how do we want to handle the order of events?))
John Duval
John Duval

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:43 pm

((Lets simply assume that you had to stop home before you could go run off with me for some unspecified period of time. All the crap happened, and I show up to pick you up with Wishbone the following day when I realize that you need time for 'pack issues'. Then we continue with everything as is. Sound good to all involved?))

Back to top Go down

Post  John Duval Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 pm

((That works for me.))
John Duval
John Duval

Character sheet

Back to top Go down