fallingwaters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling the Counter of Hearts

3 posters

Go down

Calling the Counter of Hearts Empty Calling the Counter of Hearts

Post  Wishbone Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:17 am

Wishbone pads noiselessly through the Hall in lupus. He carries no paraphernalia with him now as he makes his way into the older tunnels. Few come down here; he shouldn't be disturbed.

He sits, and closes his eyes, composing himself. The Rite of Summoning he begins is to a fearsome spirit indeed...one long known to his tribe, but never to be taken lightly. He calls upon Jackal...but Jackal has more than one face, and one of those faces is that of Anubis, Lord of the Dead.

<< Let the spirits witness that I have sought to honor the dead and guard their rest. Hail, o Guardian of the Scales, who is upon his mountain! I call upon thee, King of the West, keeper of the mysteries of the Underworld! Lord of light and darkness, walker between the worlds, grant your wisdom unto one who seeks! >>
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet
Breed: Lupus
Auspice: Theurge
Tribe: Bone Gnawers

Back to top Go down

Calling the Counter of Hearts Empty Re: Calling the Counter of Hearts

Post  STMatthew Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 am

Are you in the Umbra when you do this?

Throw your challenge.
STMatthew
STMatthew
Admin

Character sheet
Breed: Homid
Auspice: Ragabash
Tribe: Get of Fenris

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin (Mtal Pnym) Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 am

The member 'STMatthew' has done the following action : 1 masquerade, 2 masquerade, 3 masquerade

'RPS' :
Calling the Counter of Hearts Paper_small
Admin (Mtal Pnym)
Admin (Mtal Pnym)
Admin

Character sheet
Breed: Metis
Tribe: Glass Walkers

https://fallingwaters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 pm

Oh, I'm most definitely in the Umbra when I do this.
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin (Mtal Pnym) Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 pm

The member 'Wishbone' has done the following action : 1 masquerade, 2 masquerade, 3 masquerade

'RPS' :
Calling the Counter of Hearts Paper_small
Admin (Mtal Pnym)
Admin (Mtal Pnym)
Admin

Character sheet
Breed: Metis
Tribe: Glass Walkers

https://fallingwaters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  STMatthew Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Are you doing anything else along with the Rite of Summoning?
STMatthew
STMatthew
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 pm

As he chants, Wishbone lays out his offerings: the dust of three leeches slain in combat, and the fangs of the tainted serpent he slew in Zoar Valley long ago.

<< Spirits witness that I have fought the Wyrm, and that I have always sought to maintain the proper order of life and death. >>
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STMatthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:46 am

As you work, over the course of almost an hour you feel the Umbra start growing colder and darker. Shadows of night begin to dance and swirl through the cave, blocking out almost all light. Your breath fills the air, and feel certain you can see faces looming back in the condensed vapor at you. Some brave, some cruel, some glorious, some somber. You see the face of men, some wolves, and occasionally the face of a garou in Crinos. The Umbral air feels tense and still, like it dares not move, like it dares not make a sound. You words do not echo, like you are used to. It's like they stop dead just past your throat. Even with your fur you shiver in the deathly chill that seems to reach into your very bones.

The shadows shift, like living cloaks and fluttering wings of bats, and after another hour and the cold, hard stone, knees/feet (What form are you in?) aching, lungs frozen, you see a shape emerging through the gloom.

It stands tall as the ceiling...and you feel small, very small before it. The night-skinned man, dressed in robes made of the Abyss and trimmed in the rays of the setting sun. He carries a gleaming staff of forged riches, the plunders of a thousand greedy souls who wished to bring their treasures to the grave with them. An ankh made of moonlight rests on his bare, furred, athletic chest. His smoldering eyes, set into the head of a jackal, narrow as he takes you in and you feel like his looking more at your soul than you.

"What do you want?" His tone is flat, unamused, displeased, and your heart skips a beat and quivers in fear for a moment as a whisper beyond the grave hits your ears.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/93646092/Anubis_stance_by_kaizerin.jpg
STMatthew
STMatthew
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Wolves don't show fear in the same way humans do. The battered, lean Lupus does not cower, but his stance is that of one who acknowledges a superior, and his voice is subdued--respectful bordering on awed.

<< Only to do what is necessary, Lord of the West. I have been given a task pertaining to your domain--to seek out the spirits of the dead who dwell in the waters beneath this Sept, and seek a lasting accord with them. Beyond that... >> He pauses. << Beyond that, there are ten such spirits that must be sought out, for the good of the Sept--we bear a message to them from the Celestial Spheres that must be delivered. >> He bows his head. << I must fulfill the tasks before me. But I am as ignorant of the Land of the Dead as a newborn cub. To do nothing would be bad, but to blunder in blindly would be worse. I fear that in my ignorance, I would only make matters worse. >> He looks up, gravely. << You walk with the Striders, Opener of the Ways. Yet you have shared your wisdom with my tribe as well. I ask your guidance and instruction, that I may perform this task properly and in a manner acceptable to you. >>
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STMatthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:14 pm

He waits for a moment before looking down at the ashes. The spirit inhales and the dust flies into his mouth and out of sight.

"Name these spirits, Son of Rat, and tell me of the message."
STMatthew
STMatthew
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Even if Wishbone weren't under a ban preventing him from lying to spirits...lie? To the Judge of Souls? Not likely; he's not insane.

<< The spirits are of two groups, Guardian. The first, as I said, are the Drowned who reside under the cataract here. I know little...save that they were of a vanished people, the Ongiara, and that their deaths were tied to events at this Sept. >>

He pauses to collect his thoughts.

<< The second group...I know even less about. They are called the Ten Who Watch. I suspect that they were the ten who died to seal away Oshagonondagie, the Destroyer of Cities...but I do not know for certain. The message came to us from Sosondowah, the Watchman of Dawn. I have committed his message to memory:

"I come from one who is beyond myself as i am beyond the garou.
Disturbances in the way of things are felt even in dream's other kingdom.

The long dead, the last dead, the spirits of what are and were
have here lingered too long, in violation of the natural order.

The time of the neutral passed with the loss of the middle.
The triumvirate is broken aside from memory; the old treaties are gone.

They must know the truth, those who stand and watch,
that it is not their place to rule the living and the dead.

The far shore awaits those who lingered too long in this dreary kingdom.
Those who stand looking must pass on, they must move aside.

They have one year to comply, or i will return with death at my side
to bring to an end to this tale of thralls and kings, devils and gods." >>

Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STMatthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:21 pm

The demigod takes a step forward.

"I can show you the way, open the land of the dead, but what will you give me? There is little I have need of, and less the living can grant me. To what lengths will you go, garou, to complete this task? There is a treasure I wish retrieved from Du'at, Bonegnawer. While you are there, you will get it for me to prove yourself. Without it, you will never return. I will issue you a guide, but room must be made within you for it. Do you accept these terms?"
STMatthew
STMatthew
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Wishbone seems honestly puzzled by Anubis' question. How far is he willing to go...? << The task is needful, Guardian, >> he says, simply. << It must be done. I will accept your terms, but I still lack the knowledge necessary to complete the tasks. May I have time to prepare before the journey? >>
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STMatthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:38 pm

The psychopomp notices the confusion.

"Not many are so willing to leave their own and venture to the dead, and for good reason, as the journey is...taxing. By my hand, the way will be made open, but it is to you to make the right decisions, what to say to and do for the souls you seek. I will return next moonrise. Do not make me wait."

The darkness slowly begins gathering around him again as he fades from view ((he will not vanish if you need to say something else first)).

After he leaves, the chill of the grave lifts from the area and the light returns.

Last edited by STMatthew on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
STMatthew
STMatthew
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STMatthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Hang on, I mis-read something you wrote, let me edit that.

EDIT: Alright, go ahead.
STMatthew
STMatthew
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 pm

Wishbone nods. << I have two more questions, if you will permit them. >>

<< First...what is the nature and aspect of the treasure you seek? How will I know it when I find it? >>

<< Second...must I make the journey alone? If others are willing to accompany me, is it permitted? >>
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STMatthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:57 pm

The darkness draws back from him, like in fear, as he considers the question.

"You may, but each must pay their own way, and each must make room for the breath of death to fill them, else they will not survive the journey."

He points to the empty bowls of ash and the fangs which...wait, they're not there anymore...

"You have already paid, and enough for two to accompany you. As for what I seek, there is a trinket that was stolen from me, a jade scarab set in gold, as a broach. I want it returned to me. You will know the way."
STMatthew
STMatthew
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STMatthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:08 pm

"Also, before you return give a burnt offering of a strong goat, offer the blood and the heart to the Sun, crack the skull and offer the other innards to the dead. Waste not the flesh, consume it along with those you seek to bring with you. Breathe deep of the body's smoke, and think on the transition of life to death to resurrection. Bring the bones to me."
STMatthew
STMatthew
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down