fallingwaters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion: Buffalo Archivist

4 posters

Go down

Discussion: Buffalo Archivist Empty Discussion: Buffalo Archivist

Post  Stbrian Mon May 06, 2013 11:02 pm

(FQ's board is blocked at work, so I'm posting this here for now. I'll cross post later tonight, or somebody could post this over there for me)

The second WNY By Night has come and gone, and I'm left wondering how we can treat our shared world a little bit better...

It has been about four years since Frozen Queen gave birth to her first child, RbN, and two years after that Falling Waters split off from that. During that time, all three staffs have tried, with varying degrees of success, to integrate the local Western New York game world into a coherent whole. Plot is passed off between games as best it can be through informal "here's what we've got going on" conversations, but each game has developed its own unique flavor over that time. From my perspective, this has worked decently enough, but I wonder if we can't do it better.

I propose we create a new position, theoretically outside of the three games... a "WNY Archivist" essentially, whose job it would be to:

(a) be a clearinghouse for local IC news and what's going on in various places.
(b) keep track of where all the pieces are on the chessboard and whose job it would be to maintain shared NPC agendas and locations.
(c) create and maintain an official history of our three games to make sure we stay consistent.

Ideally, this would be a person with a reputation everybody trusts, and who isn't currently terribly busy as an HST or major AST of one of the local games...

Thoughts?

Stbrian
Admin

Character sheet
Breed: Homid
Auspice: Ragabash
Tribe: Fianna

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Buffalo Archivist Empty Re: Discussion: Buffalo Archivist

Post  MarkWalker Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Amy has been asking for such since she started playing.

I think me and her would both be behind such a position.

MarkWalker

Character sheet
Auspice: Galliard
Tribe: Wendigo

Back to top Go down

Post  Wishbone Mon May 06, 2013 11:25 pm

My big question would be "Who?" I suspect that it would be a pretty thankless job, and a lot more labor-intensive than some might suspect.
Wishbone
Wishbone

Character sheet
Breed: Lupus
Auspice: Theurge
Tribe: Bone Gnawers

Back to top Go down

Post  Stbrian Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Yeah, there's that. I realized earlier today that I couldn't figure out why we didn't do this already... but that might be the reason.

Stbrian
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Stbrian Mon May 06, 2013 11:35 pm

The history stuff would be vital because it would save us the trouble of infodumping plots from the last decade every time we need to reference them, and would make things much more approachable for newer (and older!) players.

The News would just be great from a flavor standpoint.

And NPC stuff would help protect my brain from exploding (I'm looking at you, OLV scene at FQ last night). Smile

Stbrian
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Buffalo Archivist Empty Ouch...

Post  Rides the Nights Wind Tue May 07, 2013 12:23 am

It sounds like a full time Job..... and the problem I see is it really shouldnt be a player in any of the Games. I mean its a data base job and the problem is it takes the supprise out of whats going on. If you know who all the NPC are and such. Perhaps you can con some of the PC Literate People to create you a Data Base and give access to that Data Base to the ST of all three Larps.
They would then enter locations, names, and such so that it could be searchable to see if someone is stepping into someone else plot line.
New Storys well that takes alot of coordination between the ST of the Games. Especially since we all meet at different times.

Rides the Nights Wind

Character sheet
Auspice: Ahroun
Tribe: Uktena

Back to top Go down

Post  Stbrian Tue May 07, 2013 12:33 am

Honestly, the "A PC can't know that" isn't as big a deal as it used to be. There are something like twelve people who wear an ST hat locally, and, at least in principle, they can all already know about anything that's going on. It still works out okay.

Also, SCIENCE! Very Happy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/11/spoilers-study_n_924413.html
http://io9.com/5829720/new-study-shows-that-knowing-spoilers-doesnt-ruin-a-story

Stbrian
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Buffalo Archivist Empty *hmmmm*

Post  Rides the Nights Wind Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 am

Well in an Ideal World....Embarassed Looks at our world both of them slipping next to each other.... Ok... point taken...alien

Rides the Nights Wind

Character sheet
Auspice: Ahroun
Tribe: Uktena

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down